Ten top chefs to participate in the International Cool Climate Chardonnay Celebration in July
Ten of the region’s top chefs are joining together to present one of the most comprehensive wine and culinary events of the summer. Toronto’s Victor Barry of Splendido will join renowned Niagara chefs in creating a unique food experience, pairing dishes with over 110 of the world’s finest cool climate chardonnays. Tickets are available “a la carte” at www.coolchardonnay.org.
Chefs Stephen Treadwell and Jason Parsons are the alumni of the group. Treadwell will take on the largest luncheon event – a vineyard feast for 120 guests at 13th Street Winery. Treadwell’s practice of presenting locally sourced-ingredients in their most delicious form pairs perfectly with the clean, crisp qualities of cool climate chardonnay. Toronto’s Afrim Pristine of the renowned Cheese Boutique will also present a special cheese course at the event.
Chef Parsons will be cooking on his home turf at Peller Estates Winery and promises to have some “cool chardonnay” surprises up his sleeve. Guests will start with vineyard wine tastings, then travel to a multi-course luncheon presented in the cellar room. Prince Edward County Chef Jeremy Taft will make his Niagara debut, creating a 5-course menu to showcase the many “faces” of Chardonnay at Flat Rock Cellars.
Chef Erik Peacock of Wellington Court Restaurant is presenting a sumptuous 3-course lunch in the vineyard at Henry of Pelham Winery. He will then lead the team of seven “winemaker-chefs” in the Beyond the Barrel Dinner, part of the signature Cool Chardonnay World Tour Event on Saturday evening at the scenic grounds of the Vineland Research & Innovation Centre.
“Winemakers obviously have fabulous palates, but I was surprised at the level of sophistication in the kitchen” said Peacock. The “Beyond the Barrel” dinner will showcase the signature dishes of seven Ontario winemakers, including Flat Rock Cellars winemaker Ross Wise’s “Lobster Mac & Cheese” and Rosehall Run’s Dan Sullivan’s “Chardonnay smoked and slow-roasted cochon”.
The Chefs of the 2012 International Cool Climate Chardonnay Celebration are:
- Victor Barry ( Splendido, Toronto) at the Hidden Bench luncheon
- Stephen Treadwell (Treadwell Farm-to-Table Cuisine, St. Catharines) at the 13th Street Winery luncheon)
- Jason Parsons (Peller Estates Winery, NOTL) at the Peller Estates luncheon
- Jeremy Taft (haute Caribou, Hillier) at the Flat Rock Cellars luncheon
- Erik Peacock (Wellington Court Restaurant, St. Catharines) at the Henry of Pelham luncheon at Cool Chardonnay World Tour events
- Ryan Crawford (Stone Road Grille, NOTL) at the Stratus luncheon
- Frank Romano (On the Twenty, Jordan) at the Cave Spring Cellars luncheon
- Michael Pasto (Good Earth Food & Wine Co, Beamsville) at the Rosewood luncheon
- Tim Mackiddie (Jackson Triggs, NOTL) at the Kick-Off Party at Jackson Triggs
- Nathan Young (Ravine Vineyard Restaurant) at the Moveable Feast Brunch
Tickets for the Moveable Feast Brunch and the luncheons at Henry of Pelham Winery and Stratus are sold out. Limited tickets to other events are still available at www.coolchardonnay.org.
The International Cool Climate Chardonnay Association is a not-for-profit group of 28 inspired Ontario winemakers and winery owners, devoted to the renaissance of chardonnay. The International Cool Climate Chardonnay Celebration is generously supported by founding sponsors Wine Country Ontario, the Grape Growers of Ontario and the LCBO|Vintages. Event sponsors include Vineland Research & Innovation Centre, Meridian Credit Union, Riedel, and CCOVI at Brock University.
For further information: