www.goodfoodrevolution.comsitemap
MENU

December 11, 2020 Comments (0) Views: 260 Try This

Try This : A Lipsmackingly Good NZ Sauvignon Blanc

2019 Thornbury Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough, New Zealand (13.5% Alcohol, Residual Sugar 5 g/l) LCBO Vintages $18.95 (750ml bottle)

This Thornbury wine is a regular release through LCBO Vintages, and while I’ve always rated it as a solid Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc, I feel that with this particular 2019 vintage, winemaker Simon Fell has really outdone himself.

I’m not quite sure how he does it, but this wine is the most passion fruit-packed wine I have ever had the pleasure of tasting; the nose is simply gorgeous, and literally makes one’s mouth water.

Despite the abundance of passion fruit, this is no one trick pony, as beneath that indulgence of forward-facing fruit (on both nose and palate) is a whole load of lime zest, bell pepper, mint, tangy blackcurrants, and just-cracked white pepper. 

60% of the fruit was sourced from the Wairau Valley, which provides richness and mouthfeel, with the other 40% coming from the cooler Awatere Valley, bringing green fruits, elegance and certain mineral edge. There’s a healthy mid-palate going on here, something that is often missing from the more monochromatic Sauvignons we often see on these shores. The teasingly mineral finish is pleasurable and extended.

A really great glass of wine, and at an extremely affordable pricepoint.

While this would pair with all manner of lighter dishes, I honestly just enjoy drinking this by itself. Most enjoyable.


(Four and a half apples out of a possible five)

Thornbury are represented in Ontario by Airen Imports.

Airen Imports are a Good Food Fighter.

Please support the businesses and organisations that support Good Food Revolution.

 


Edinburgh-born/Toronto-based Sommelier, consultant, writer, judge, and educator Jamie Drummond is the Director of Programs/Editor of Good Food Revolution… And he really enjoyed that.

Tags: , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.