At Wines of South Africa we are excited to announce the 2016 WOSA Sommelier Cup. The triennial contest pits your knowledge of South African wines against that of other sommeliers from across the Canada, and, if you make it to the finals, from across the world.
Who’s eligible? Sommeliers anywhere in Canada. You need to be currently working in a restaurant or wine shop to enter.
HOW TO ENTER
- First, register here: http://www.wosa.co.za/sommelier/#enter. Second, Tweet or post on Instagram about 5 different South African wines, using the hashtag #CAPESOMM. Now you’re entered!
- On April 18th 2016, at 1pm EST, we’ll administer an online multiple choice test. Questions will be about the South African wine: the terroir, history, geography, cuisine…all the things that have gone into making South African wine stand out. The exam will be timed, to discourage open book “research”.
- The ten top scorers will enter round two. They’ll each receive 2 bottles of South African wine, all from a specific region or variety. The challenge: drink them! (well, taste them) and write tasting notes for each, plus an essay: explain to other sommeliers what sorts of wines that region does best, and why. Keep it short: 400-500 words.
- Make the essay deadline of May 27th. Three winners from the essay contest will be chosen for a final, live, blind tasting and theory competition to take place mid-late June. WOSA will cover flights (final city location tbd depending on 3 finalists home location) accommodation and meals.
- The winner, however, gets even more, and will go to South Africa to compete with winners from around the world. All those winners will get to enjoy the Cape for a week, touring the major wine regions to put the final touches on your knowledge for the final competition. The trip will be from September 17th through the 24th, with the final on September 23rd. All major expenses – flights, accommodation, meals, etc. – will be covered.
Dates to remember:
- April 18th: 1st exam
- May 27th: Essay submission
- Mid-June: Final competition
- September 17-24th: South Africa
Entrants who pass the first exam will be asked to keep the June and September dates open. WOSA retains the right to reproduce and distribute essays, in whole or portion.
See who’s entered and find out more at wosa.co.za/sommelier
Wines of South Africa is a Good Food Fighter. Please support the businesses and organizations that support Good Food Revolution.