Smoked fish is always popular for brunch, lunch or at cocktail time. In the All The Best kitchen we use local smoked trout to create a variety of deliciously flavourful appetizers and party snacks. In this recipe we turn the smoked fish into a tasty spread. Serve with crisp cornichons, cucumber rounds or spears of Belgian endive and a basket of pumpernickel bread or sesame toasts.
Smoked Trout Spread
- 1 side smoked trout, approx 8 ozs/250 g
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped shallots
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) finely chopped fresh dill
- 2 tsp (10 mL) finely grated fresh horseradish
- ¾ cup -1 cup (175 mL-250 mL) mayonnaise
- Fresh lemon juice and grated lemon zest
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Remove skin from filet of smoked trout. In a bowl, using a fork or your fingers, shred trout into small pieces. Add shallots, dill, horseradish and mayonnaise and toss lightly to combine. Taste and adjust for acidity with addition of lemon juice and zest and season with salt and pepper. Makes appox. 11/2 cups/375 mL.
All The Best Fine Foods is a Good Food Fighter. Please support the businesses and organizations that support Good Food Revolution.