By Jamie Drummond
Have you ever wondered just what wine professionals enjoy drinking at home? You know, their everyday, “go-to” bottles… the kind of wines that are easily available but satiate the thirstiest of oenophiles?
Just the other week 13th Street’s Peter Bodnar Rod posed this question to the judges of Intervin 2010 (Christopher Waters, Thomas Bachelder, Linda Bramble, Darryl Brooker, Sara D’Amato, Christopher Freeland, April Kilpatrick, Craig McDonald, Paul Pender, Sue-Ann Staff, Margaret Swaine, Zoltan Szabo, James Treadwell, Deanna Van Mulligen, and little old me)
And so we present for you the list compiled that evening, and Oh Boy, have we got a list for you…
1. Segura Viudas “Brut Reserva” Cava Penedes Spain (LCBO GL# 158493) $14.95
2. Jacob’s Creek Chardonnay/Pinot Noir “Bottle Fermented” Australia (Still trying to track this down! – JD)
1. Babich Sauvignon Blanc New Zealand (LCBO GL# 620054) $16.05
2. Cono Sur Riesling Chile (LCBO GL# 156653) $9.95
3. Weingut St. Urbans-Hof “Urban” Riesling QbA Mosel Germany (LCBO GL# 184051) $14.95
4. Pfaffenheim Pinot Blanc Alsace France (LCBO GL# 22855) $12.95
5. Fritz Haag Riesling Germany (Occasionally seen)
6. Gatao Vinho Verde Portugal (Occasionally seen)
7. Louis Jadot Chardonnay Burgundy France (LCBO VINTAGES# 933077) $18.95
8. Rabl “Käferberg” Grüner Veltliner Austria (LCBO VINTAGES ONLINE# 32532) $29
9. Lailey “Select Late Harvest” Riesling Niagara Ontario (WINERY ONLY) $25 (375ml)
10. KWV Chenin Blanc South Africa (LCBO GL# 18689) $8
1. Bodegas Montecillo Rioja Reserva Spain (LCBO GL# 621003) $18.45
2. Vinicola Botter “Ogio” Primitivo Puglia Italy (LCBO GL# 86421) $8.85
3. La Vieille Ferme Côtes du Ventoux Rhône Valley France (LCBO GL# 263640) $11.95
4. Bodegas Casona “La Casona Old Vines” Monastrell Jumilla Spain (LCBO GL# 143743) $8.70
6. De Bortoli “Deen Vat 10” Pinot Noir South Australia (LCBO GL#61622) $15.05
7. Juan Gil Monastrell Jumilla Spain (LCBO VINTAGES# 74888) $12.95
8. Louis Jadot Beaujolais France (LCBO VINTAGES# 5918) $9.95 (375ml)
9. Condado de Haza Crianza Ribera del Duero Spain (LCBO VINTAGES# 963348) $24.95
10. Sue Ann Staff Baco Noir Niagara Ontario (WINERY ONLY)
1. Van Diest “Fruli” Strawberry Beer Belgium (LCBO GL# 698548) $2.55
A great list – gold star! And thanks for including the Baco Noir – I’m featuring it this weekend at the Niagara Grape and Wine Festival. Hope everyone likes it!
I love this list of what is considered to be what wine professionals drink as their everyday choice. I have had most of these wines myself, however I am interested in (if you tracked it down) that Jacobs creek bottle fermented Chardonnay/Pinot noir? Would love to get my paws in that.
Hey! I finally left a comment on Good Food Revolution!